Grilled pizza with sausage, onion and capsicum recipe
- 100 g raw thin pork sausage
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 whole capsicum, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 6 tbsp tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 80g reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 large wholemeal pita bread
Preheat a grill on high. Place the sausage, onion and capsicum under the preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes each side or until both sausages and vegetables are golden and cooked through. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool a little. When cool enough to handle, slice sausages thinly and set aside.
To prepare the pizzas: Place 2 tablespoons of sauce on each pita bread. Sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of the dried oregano and top with 1/4 of the sausage and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle each pizza with 20g grated cheese
Place the pizzas under the grill, or as many as will fit at one time. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Rotate pizzas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and slightly golden.
- You can always change the pizza toppings according to what's in the fridge. Try bacon and mushroom, then top with either fresh basil or rocket leaves after the pizzas have been grilled. This will keep both the flavours and texture fresh.
- This recipe was created by Weight Watchers.