Cheesy bacon and corn muffins recipe
Savoury muffins are a great lunch box solution. Not only are they cheap to make and very filling for hungry kids, they're not full of sugar but instead packed full of delicious ingredients that you don't have to feel guilty about.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup creamed corn
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 rashers of bacon, finely diced and cooked
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12 hole muffin tray and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
Add the corn, cheese and bacon pieces.
Break the egg into a measuring cup and lightly beat. Add enough water to the egg to make 3/4 cup.
Add the egg and water to the mixing bowl and mix through until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- These muffins are really cheesy and delicious - but the melted cheese does mean that these muffins are quite sticky. If you use paper muffin cases, the cooked muffins will stick to the paper.
- I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese in these muffins and they worked really well.
- You could add all sorts of other savoury ingredients to this recipe - sliced olive, diced sundired tomatoes, a spoonful of pesto. Yum!
- This recipe was created by Ella Walsh for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.