Simple fried rice recipe
- 5 cups of cooked rice (approx. 2 cups uncooked rice)
- 2 rashers bacon, finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, frozen, fresh or tinned
- 1/3 cup peas, frozen, fresh or tinned, or beans, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 8 prawns, finely diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Prepare all ingredients before starting to cook and have close at hand.
Heat oil in frying pan; wait until it is sizzling hot (drop a little water on to test if you are unsure).
Add bacon, shallots, corn, peas/beans, carrots and prawns and stir until lightly cooked.
Add rice. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring only once a minute.
Add soy sauce, and stir once a minute for another 2 minutes.
Move ingredients over to one side to leave some space in frypan, pour in egg and let cook for 30 seconds. With fork, scramble and then combine through rest of rice.
- This is a dinner that I dig out on such occasions such as: 'Oh no, I forgot to take something out of the freezer and it's 4pm' or 'We've just got home from X and I don't have time to cook Y before the kids start eating the couch' or 'I feel like something quick and dirty'...
- It's amazing we don't eat it every night! (Just kidding)
- This is actually really nice hot or cold and I keep a few key ingredients in the freezer on standby. Good for lunches too.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.