Homemade baked beans recipe
- 5 pieces shortcut bacon, diced
- ½ clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 x 420g can five bean mix, drained
- 1 x 420g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp treacle
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
In a deep frypan, heat a little olive oil and cook the bacon, garlic until soft.Add Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, treacle, mustard, tomato paste and beef stock and simmer until bubbling. Add beans and stir well, simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Baked beans are the most flexible dish – you can enjoy them for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
- This is a family favourite recipe and is particularly good in the middle of winter to warm the soul.
- Serve with crusty bread or on toast.
- My girls like to eat these baked beans with a poached egg. They mix it and put it on their toast, mix their egg into it - it's fun.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.