Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 2 x 420g of brown lentils or 1 x 420g tin lentils and 1x 420g tin kidney beans
- 1 x 420g tin chopped/diced tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken stock (or chicken stock powder mixed with water)
- ½ tsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp garam masala
- A few shakes chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander/cilantro seeds
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
In a mortar and pestle, mash and combine the tomato paste, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chilli powder, cumin and coriander seeds until it makes a paste.
Fry onion in olive oil in a saucepan or stockpot, add the spice paste, and cook until onions are soft. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, lentils and beans.
Simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped coriander/cilantro and simmer for another 5 minutes.
If you want a smoother soup, blend quickly before serving, but you don’t need to.
Spoon up and serve.
- This is a great soup to make when you’re feeling under the weather – easy to digest, the lentils are highly nutritious and the chilli and other spices will warm you up from the inside.
- It tastes perfect with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle more of coriander to garnish and some toast or crusty bread.
- This can easily be converted to vegetarian if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
- Try freezing it and saving it for cold nights when you need a fast and wholesome family meal.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.
Related soup recipes:
- Chunky vegetable and chick pea soup
- Cauliflower and leek soup
- Pumpkin soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Spicy sweet potato soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup
- Green pea and ham soup
- Vegetable soup with pasta