Flourless chocolate and almond cake recipe
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon black coffee
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g castor sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 3 eggs, separated
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
Preheat oven to 160ºC and butter an 18cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
Melt the chocolate, brandy and coffee in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. The bowl should not touch water. Stir in butter and sugar until butter melts, then add ground almonds and mix well. Remove bowl from heat and stir in lightly beaten egg yolks.
In an electric mixer, beat egg whites until firm peaks form. Fold in one spoonful of egg white to lighten the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes. A skewer inserted in the middle of the cake will still be gooey - perfect! Allow the cake to cool in the tin, then carefully turn out onto a tray and then invert onto a serving plate.
Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar.
- The top of this cake is very fragile, so if it cracks when you get it out of the tin, turn it upside down on the serving plate and no one will ever know!
- Raspberries or orange segments and thick cream are perfect with this cake.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.