French toast with a chocolate twist recipe
- 8 slices of day old bread
- Chocolate hazelnut spread (e.g. Nutella)
- 3 free range eggs (59g)
- 60mL (1/4 cup) milk
- 15g butter
Spread four slices of bread with chocolate hazelnut spread and top with remaining slices.
Whisk the eggs and milk together. Place each sandwich in egg mixture until well coated, then turn over and coat other side. Heat a large, non-stick frypan over a medium-high heat, melt butter and cook each sandwich for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Cut into halves or quarters and serve immediately.
- A dense white bread works well in this recipe.
- An easy way to use up any leftover bread from the holidays.
- French toast (perhaps without the chocolate) is a sneaky way to get your fussy eater to eat eggs.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.