Grilled chicken skewers with haloumi and herbs recipe
- 2 chicken breasts (about 400g), cut into 2cm cubes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g haloumi cheese, cut into 24 cubes
- Oregano and sage leaves (halved if large)
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
Combine chicken, lemon zest and juice and oil, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes. If you are using wooden skewers, soak in water for the 30 minutes to prevent them burning under the grill.
Divide chicken and haloumi into eight equal serves. For each skewer, thread on a couple of chicken pieces, then a haloumi square, more chicken and more haloumi until all used.
Thread herb leaves between each piece of chicken or haloumi. Preheat grill to medium-high heat, cook skewers for 2 minutes, turn and then cook for a further 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked and haloumi is golden.
Serve warm with lemon wedges.
- Marinading the chicken is not essential, but the lemon does produce a nice sharp contrast to the haloumi.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.