Easy school lunch muesli bars recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups rice bubbles (puffed rice)
- ½ cup ‘craisins’ (dried cranberries)
- ½ cup currants (Julie uses 1 cup of sultanas instead of craisins/currants)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or linseeds)
- 150g butter, diced
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
Preheat oven to 180°C. If using fan-forced, 160°C.
Grease a lamington pan or one of similar sizing and line with greaseproof/baking paper. Grease the paper over the top to hold in place.
Mix the oats, rice bubbles, craisins, currants, coconut, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
Heat the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan, melt the butter and stir to combine all ingredients, simmer until mixture becomes more syrupy and honeycomb colour. Take off the heat.
Stir liquid gradually into the dry ingredients and when well combined, spoon into pan/tin. Press down well... put into the oven for 20 minutes.
The mix should be golden brown on top when you take it out of the oven. Cool in the tray.
- The perfect snack for lunch boxes that the kids can help you make beforehand.
- Can be converted to nut-free/egg-free, but very carefully check all ingredients beforehand for nut or egg traces.
- Different dried fruit can be easily substituted for the above selections, so do try different versions with the kids to find their favourites.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.