Homemade chunky monkey ice cream recipe
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups double or whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, frozen or mashed
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Roughly chop up your chocolate or place your chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge.
Whip your eggs until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes) and gradually add the sugar and whip for another minute. Add milk, cream and whip for a further 2 minutes.
Add vanilla extract and whip for one more minute.
Transfer to ice-cream maker... and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
After 18-20 minutes, add mashed banana (if you’ve pre-frozen bananas whip them in the food processor) and allow to combine.
Then add the chocolate and the walnuts.
When finished, transfer to airtight freezer-safe containers with lids and freeze as normal.
- This is a super easy ice cream recipe, but it’s important to make sure the ice cream maker bowl is well frozen before you begin.
- You can use any type of chocolate – but for a special adult treat add some 70% cocoa Lindt chocolate.
- The nuts can easily be omitted for a nut free dessert (but do check the chocolate carefully, as they can contain traces of nuts).
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.