Honey passionfruit cake recipe
- 125g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ passionfruit, hulled
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 ½ passionfruit, hulled (approx. ½ tsp)
Preheat oven to 160°C (or if not fan forced 180°C).
Grease and paper your lamington pan - make sure you have overhang on the baking paper so you can lift out the cake later.
Measure all your ingredients out - melt your butter - have a smaller bowl with your sifted flour and another empty ready with mixing spoon.
Mix the butter and honey together in the bowl.
Add milk and stir.
Add flour, coconut and passionfruit and mix again.
Add sugar and mix for a final time ensuring all is combined.
Pour into your greased and papered pan and smooth out to the sides - put in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Test with a skewer to check readiness and when skewer comes out clean remove by pulling out by baking paper and place on cooling rack. When cake completely cooled (approx 1.5 hours) turn over and take paper off, turn back original way and prepare to ice.
Prepare your icing by putting pulp of 1.5 large passionfruit and mix in 1.5 cups of icing sugar. Add small drops of water until it is a thickish but spreadable consistency.
Spread across cake - slice if you wish and you can keep in the fridge about 5 days.
- This is an easy kid friendly recipe, but if cooking with the kids do try pre-prepare the recipe as much as possible.
- This yummy cake (and its icing) freezes really well so you can enjoy it later.
- The perfect afternoon tea treat for kids, or for yourself with a cup of tea.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.