Chewy fruit and nut roll recipe
- 18 (140g) Malted Milk biscuits
- 100g packet glace cherries, finely chopped
- 100g glace ginger, finely chopped
- 60g crushed nuts
- 60g sultanas
- 15 marshmallows, chopped
- 100g condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Coconut for rolling
Use a food processor to crumble biscuits.
Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the cherries and mix well, then add the ginger and mix well and finally the marshmallows (adding separately coats them in the dry ingredients and prevents clumping).
Divide the mixture in half; roll each into a sausage about 2cm in diameter and then roll in coconut.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours and while still cold, slice into biscuits about 0.5cm thick.
Store in the fridge.
- If you don't own a food processor, crush the biscuits by putting them in a freezer bag (two, depending on the quality of said plastic bag) and crushing them with a rolling pin. Also can be very therapeutic!
- Chopping the glace cherries, ginger and marshmallows is a very sticky business. Dip the blade of your knife in flour every now and then to stop all the ingredients sticking to the knife.
- Wetting your hands with cold water before rolling the mixture into sausages also reduces some of the stickiness.
- The ginger is quite a prominent flavour in this recipe, leave it out if your kids are averse to strong flavours.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.