Christmas burgers with the lot recipe
- 2 red onions
- 500g heart smart beef mince
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 rashers short cut bacon
- 50g mixed lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 capsicums, roasted
- 8 slices bread or 4 hamburger buns, halved
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn
Preheat oven to 120°C. Peel onions, sit base of onion on chopping board and cut vertically into 1cm slices.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat and cook onion slices for about 10 minutes each side or until soft and golden. Place in oven to keep warm.
Cook the bacon rashers in the frypan until crisp and place in oven to keep warm. Combine mince, pesto, tomato paste, crumbs and water.
Form into 4 large burgers or 8 small burgers.
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat and cook 4 burgers at a time. Don't rush or you will end up with male-bbq-style burnt burgers. Allow 6-7 minutes each side and turn only once.
Toast bread or burger buns.
Top one slice of bread or half bun with capsicum, tomato and roasted onion. Top the remaining bread or bun with lettuce, bacon, burger and some crumbled feta.
Sprinkle with basil leaves. Serve with tomato sauce or chutney.
- Lots of festive red and green in this recipe!
- These gourmet burgers are perfect if you don't buy into the Full Roast Lunch/Dinner HooHa on Christmas day. Also perfect for those lazy summer barbecues.
Find related recipes.
- Beer can chicken
- Beer batter fish
- Homestyle chips
- Big breakfast
- Chicken schnitzel
- Banana bread pie
- Caramelised onions
This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.