Creamy raspberry filled cupcakes recipe
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup (250mL) milk
- 150mL thick cream, whipped
- 1 cup raspberries
Preheat oven to 180°C and place paper cases in trays.
Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric beater, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time until each is mixed in well. Add vanilla essence. Stop mixer and sift half the flour into the bowl and pour in half the milk, start mixer and beat until combined.
Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
Fill each paper case until two-thirds full and bake for 10-15 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
When cupcakes are cool, use a small serrated knife to cut a circle out of the middle of each cupcake.
Mix the raspberries into the cream, crushing the raspberries so that the mixture takes on a lovely pink colour. Spoon the raspberry mixture into the cupcakes, top with the circle of cake and dust with icing sugar.
- Can be made into butterfly cakes. To do this, cut the circle of cake into halves and decorate each side of the raspberry cream with wings.
- These cupcakes can be prepared ahead of time, but look their best if the filling is added just before serving.
- This recipe makes 48 cupcakes or 24 muffin size cupcakes. The recipe also can be easily halved.
- In the unlikely event you have leftovers, the unfilled cupcakes freeze and defrost well. I freeze 6-12 in a single layer in medium-sized freezer bags.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.