Dark chocolate truffles recipe
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g unsalted butter at room temperature, chopped
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, Baileys or Tia Maria
- Fine chocolate sprinkles
Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stir until smooth. The bowl should not touch water.
Remove bowl from heat and place on a teatowel, allow chocolate to cool for 10 minutes.
Use a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer to beat butter until pale and creamy. Sift in icing sugar and beat until combined.
With mixer running, pour in chocolate and beat until well combined. Place mixture in refrigerator until firm.
Roll two teaspoonsful of mixture into a ball and roll in chocolate sprinkles. Store in fridge.
- It is important to make sure the chocolate has cooled, otherwise it separates when added to the butter mixture.
- This recipe is very versatile - you can use white, milk or dark chocolate, your favourite liqueur and roll in the sprinkles, cocoa powder, drinking chocolate, icing sugar or coat in more melted chocolate.
- Rolled in icing sugar, the truffles look like 'chocolate snowballs'.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.