Eye fillet beef with horseradish cream recipe
- 1kg beef fillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (250mL) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish cream
Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
Crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle (I just stood in the kitchen 'freshly grinding' until I had enough). Mix the pepper with sea salt and place on a sheet of plastic wrap.
Coat the beef fillet with the oil and roll in pepper and salt mixture until well covered. Heat a large ovenproof non-stick frypan over a high heat and seal beef on all sides; this takes 2-3 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and roast for 15 minutes for rare, 25 for medium. Cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
Combine the sour cream with horseradish (use more if you prefer a hotter dressing) and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Slice the fillet thickly and arrange on a large platter, place a teaspoon of horseradish cream on each slice.
- Substitute the horseradish cream for your favourite sauce, e.g. a simple gravy, or creamy mushroom.
- If you don't have an ovenproof frypan, seal the beef in a frypan and transfer to a lightly oiled baking tray.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.