Cheese and bacon mini quiches recipe
- 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (or cream)
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
Place sheets of pastry on a bench to thaw (takes about 10 minutes).
Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly butter the holes of a 24-hole cupcake tray (or 2 x 12-holes).
Cook bacon and onion in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat until onion is starting to brown.
Use a circle shaped cutter that is slightly bigger than the top of the hole, cut out 24 rounds of pastry and place in the tray.
Place a teaspoonful of bacon and onion mixture into the pastry cases and sprinkle on the same amount of cheese.
Whisk the eggs and milk together in a jug, then gently pour into the pastry cases until just below the rim of the pastry.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until filling has risen and is golden. Serve warm.
- These little gems can be made the day before, but take out of the oven just before golden. When cool, store covered in the fridge, then just reheat in the oven (150C) before serving.
- Mini quiches also freeze well. Try freezing 12 in a single layer in a medium sized freezer bag. They are handy to have for those ""omg - what am I going to give the kids for dinner"" moments.
- Depending on your family's palate - or if you would like to jazz up this recipe for Christmas guests - you can be more adventurous with the fillings. Mushroom, chives and goat's cheese or smoked salmon, preserved lemon and feta.