Homemade lemon slice recipe
- 2 x 200g packets rich shortbread biscuits
- 1 x 400g tin condensed milk
- 2 cups coconut
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 30g butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Butter a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with butter.
Use a food processor to crush the biscuits, this takes 2-3 batches. Place crushed biscuits, coconut, lemon rind and condensed milk in a large bowl.
Melt butter and add to other ingredients, mix well. Press mixture into tray.
To make icing, sift icing sugar into bowl and stir in butter. Add lemon juice one tablespoon at a time until icing is a smooth, spreadable consistency.
Spread slice with icing, refrigerate until firm and then slice into squares or triangles. Store in the fridge.
- This recipe can be made in stages, which is especially handy in the busy lead up to Christmas.
- Refrigerate after pressing into tray, then ice when you get a chance, return to fridge and then slice up at the next opportunity.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.