Lemon and raspberry friands recipe
- 180g unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 180g icing sugar
- 100g almond meal
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 5 egg whites
- 20 raspberries
Preheat oven to 200C.Grease a 12-hole friand tin.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and cook for 1 minute or until golden.
Sift plain flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.Stir in almond meal and lemon zest. Lightly beat egg whites with a fork and stir into dry ingredients.
Spoon mixture into tin, filling each hole two-thirds full and gently press two raspberries into each friand.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 180C and cook for another 15-20 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
- A regular muffin tin or deep patty pan tins can be used.
- Make larger friands by filling only 8-10 holes.
- What to do with 5 egg yolks? Try making a yummy rich custard!
- You can adjust this recipe using 100g butter, 3 whole eggs instead of 5 egg whites and adding the juice of the lemon.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.