Light Christmas fruit cake recipe
- 500g fruit medley
- 750g mixed fruit
- 750g raw mixed nuts
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
Preheat oven to 150°C. Butter a 20cm square tin with butter, line base and sides.
In a large bowl, combine fruit and nuts, sift in flour and baking powder and stir until fruit and nuts are well coated.
Beat eggs and sugar until light and creamy, pour over dry ingredients, add vanilla and mix well.
Spoon mixture into cake tin, smooth top and bake for 2-2 1/2 hours. Cool in tin, remove and wrap in plastic wrap, then foil.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut this cake. Try for thin slices (0.5cm) as it is quite rich.
- You can now buy thin bars of this cake in foodie sections of department stores - but can make the whole cake for the same price!
- This cake has fewer ingredients to Traditional Christmas Cake, is simpler to put together and a lighter alternative.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard