Spiced preserved lemons recipe
- 250g coarse kitchen salt
- 10 lemons, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Extra lemon juice
Sterilise a 1 litre jar and scatter a spoonful of salt into the jar.
In a wide plastic bucket, combine lemons and the rest of the salt. Mix well, rubbing the fruit with the salt.
Pack the lemons into the jar, skin-side out. Insert pieces of bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon stick as you go. Press down on the lemons to release juice and spoon the salt mixture from the tub over the fruit.
Cover the lemons with extra lemon juice. Wipe the neck of the jar clean with a cloth dipped in boiling water and screw the cap on tightly. Allow the lemons to mature for a month at room temperature before using. To use, scrape pith and flesh away from rind and discard. Rinse the rind under water, pat dry and chop finely.
- Enough for 4-5 smaller sterilised glass jars or 1-2 large.
- Preserved lemons keep for at least a year at room temperature.
- For gifts, use a ribbon to tie on a tag explaining the maturing period, how to prepare and recipe ideas.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.