Traditional panforte recipe
- 100g shelled almonds
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 250g mixed glace fruit, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar to decorate
Preheat oven to 150°C, butter and line an 18cm round cake tin.
Put almonds and hazelnuts in a greased shallow pan and bake until golden (about 20 minutes). Set aside to cool. Reduce oven to 140°C.
Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon and allspice. Mix well.
Place honey and sugar in a saucepan, cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix into flour mixture.
Then add in glace fruit, rind, juice and roasted nuts. Stir until well combined.
Place mixture into prepared tin, bake for about 50 minutes or until firm.
Remove from oven, turn out onto a cake tray, remove baking paper and allow to cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar and store in an airtight container.
- I generally use a mixture of glace cherries, apricots, pineapple and orange (or citron).
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard