Tangy lemon cake recipe
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon rind (2 lemons)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (from 1 ½ lemons)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (from remaining ½ lemon)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Butter the base of a deep 20cm round cake pan. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl with the lemon juice and milk. Beat on low speed until just combined and smooth.
Pour the mixture into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice to make a smooth paste. Pour icing in the centre of the cold cake; use a knife to encourage the icing to run over the sides in a decorative pattern. Allow the icing to set, about 30 minutes, before serving.
- This is a lovely moist, citrusy cake. Beating the lemon rind with the butter and sugar helps release all the lovely lemon oil into the cake. The simple lemon icing gives it a nice tang.
More cake recipes
Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot New Zealand.