Christmas shortbread recipe
Nothing says Christmas quite like buttery shortbread. These crumbly biscuits are a simple sweet treat and make thoughtful festive gifts. For a less traditional version try pistachio and cranberry shortbread -just mix in cranberries and pistachios. Either version is sure to be a hit this Christmas!
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 90g caster sugar
- 60g cornflour
- 270g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer (or hand-held electric mixer) until well combined.
Sift flours and baking powder into butter mixture, add salt and beat on low speed until mixture comes together in a ball.
Transfer to a floured surface and knead lightly. Divide mixture in two and roll into sausages about 2.5-3cm in diameter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 130°C and lightly butter baking trays.
Cut sausages into 1cm widths and place on trays. Sprinkle with extra caster sugar and bake for 1 hour.
- This is a great recipe to make once the kids have gone to bed; the mixture can be prepared and left in the fridge overnight, then you can slice and bake the shortbread the next day.
- Prick each shortbread with a fork (three times), sprinkle with caster sugar and finishes it with a quarter of a glace cherry.
- Try Pistachio and cranberry shortbread - simply 1/2 cup of craisins (dried cranberries) and 1/2 cup pistachios to the mixture after the flour has been incorporated. Take a bit more care with slicing - the cut pistachios look great but may fall out, just stick them back in as you place the shortbread on the tray.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard