Creamy Christmas potato casserole recipe
- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 2 large yellow onions
- 15-20 flat anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 tb butter
- 250mL heavy cream
- Bread crumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 200C.
Peel and slice the potatoes into long thin strips, then place them in cold water (so they don't turn colour, and so that the starch washes out).
Slice the onions thinly.
Grease a casserole, about 9x12 inches.
Layer the potatoes, onion and anchovies in the dish, starting with potatoes.
Pour the cream, then sliced butter, bread crumbs and pepper evenly over the mix.
Bake in a 200°C oven for 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or skewer and the liquid is nearly absorbed.
- This casserole is a lovely creamy side dish for Christmas dinner or any roast
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard