Mixed tomato salad with basil and parmesan croutons recipe
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 punnet red grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 4 slices mixed grain bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 1 level teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
Tear the bread into bite size chunks and place in a bowl, add oil and parmesan, toss to combine. Spread bread onto baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
In a small glass jar, combine lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Screw on lid and shake well to combine.
Slice each tomato into quarters, halve the grape tomatoes and tear the basil leaves into small pieces.
Place tomatoes and basil on to a serving platter, top with croutons and drizzle with dressing.
- You will probably only need half of the dressing; use the remainder on a fresh green salad or store the rest in the jar in the fridge for a week or so. Allow to return to room temperature before using.
- For this recipe try substituting different types of tomatoes depending on what's in season at the time.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related salad recipes
- Summer steak and tomato salad
- Sweet potato salad
- Chickpea salad recipe
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Pasta salad
- Chicken, mango and coriander salad recipe
- Warm chicken salad recipe
- Asian salmon salad recipe
- Goats cheese and polenta salad
- Chicken and bacon salad recipe
- Chicken and mango salad
- Chicken and cranberry waldorf salad