Butterfly cake recipe
- 280g butter
- 1 1/4 cups castor sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 3 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 360ml milk
- 2 1/4 cups thickened cream
- 3 tsp icing sugar
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Extra icing sugar for dusting.
Preheat oven to 190C. Line 2 x 12 cup muffin tins with patty pans and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
Add eggs in one at a time.
Fold in half of the flour and then half of the milk and then repeat.
Beat with the electric mixer for just enough time for ingredients to be combined.
Divide mixture into patty pans and bake for 13-15 mins.
When the cakes are cool, whip the cream with the icing sugar until it's thick.
Using a sharp knife, slice out a round disc from the top of the cake.
Place a teaspoon of jam in each divot and spread with the back of a spoon. Top with a big scoop of cream.
Slice the disc you cut out into two and then sit them in the cream. Add 1/4 tsp of jam in the centre.
- Boil the kettle. You will need a cup of tea to test these out.
- This recipe seems like a monster batch but I have never seen these last more than an hour.
- This recipe makes 24-26 cakes which is a perfect amount for your children to take to school for their birthday.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.