Love heart cookies recipe
These heart-shaped shortbread cookies are light, buttery and topped with royal icing. They are perfect to make for gifts and you can also use lollipop sticks to make cookie pops with this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups castor sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugaer, sifted
- 2 tbsp glucose syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- Food colouring of your choice
Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
Divide dough in half and gather into balls. Flatten them to disks and cover in cling film. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
On a floured worksurface, roll dough to 1/2 cm thickness and cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
Place on the tray and bake for 13 minutes or until pale golden.
Transfer cookies to racks to cool.
Mix cookie glaze ingredients together and colour to you liking. Cover cookies with the glaze.
- These cookies can be any shape you like. You can even put a lollipop stick in them before you bake so they become cookie pops.
- The cookie glaze is a great way to add colour and crunch.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.