Cauliflower cheese recipe
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and white pepper
In a large saucepan, cover the cauliflower with water and bring to the boil.
Simmer the cauliflower for 5 minutes. Drain and tip into a baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Let it bubble until the flour is cooked but not browned. Gradually add the milk, whisking continually. Add salt and pepper and taste.
When the sauce is thick and bubbling, whisk in the cheeses. Pour over the cauliflower. Bake for 15 minutes.
- This cauliflower cheese is real comfort food. It goes really well with roasted meats.
- You can omit the parmesan cheese but I like the sauce to have a bit of bite.
- Sometimes I like to add a tablespoon of dijon mustard to this sauce for an added taste sensation.
Related vegetarian recipes
- Baked ricotta
- Bubble and squeak
- Easy salsa
- Eggplant parmigana
- Goat's cheese and herbed polenta salad
- Hash browns
- Mary May's crunchy on toast
- Paris mashed potato
- Pumpkin, feta and chickpea salad
- Simple pumpkin soup
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.