Home made yoghurt recipe
- 3 tbsp commercial natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 2 1/2 cups milk
Prepare a jar by pouring boiling water into it and letting it stand. To ensure the jar doesn't crack, place a spoon in the jar to absorb the heat shock. Leave to stand for a few minutes and empty.
Mix dried milk with powdered milk and heat in a small saucepan until it almost reaches boiling point.
Remove from heat and leave to cool to lukewarm. You can test this by dipping a clean finger into it. If you can't feel hot or cold then the temperature is just right.
Mix the commercial yoghurt into the milk and pour into the prepared jar. Screw the lid on tight and wrap in a piece of clean blanket. Place in a bucket and keep in a warm place. Leave to stand for 6 hours. Unwrap and refrigerate.
- Make sure you reserve 3 tablespoons of this batch as a culture for your next batch. You can use this in place of the commercial yoghurt.
- I left this close to the water heater as this was a warm place for it to stand.
- I like to add fruit like blueberries, strawberries and banana to this.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.