Chicken and pesto penne recipe
- 1 pkt penne pasta
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, halved
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 jar basil pesto
- 2 chicken breasts, skin off
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Place tomatoes, cut side up on an oven tray. Drizzle oil on top. Cook for 20 minutes.
Boil a pot of water for the pasta.
Add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve a cup of the cooking water and drain and place pasta back in the pot.
Brush chicken breasts with oil and panfry until just cooked through.
Rest chicken for 5 minutes and slice. Reserve juices.
Mash tomatoes with a fork and place in the pot with the pasta, pesto and chicken slices. Combine all ingredients, adding some of the reserved pasta water if required.
- This makes a great salad cold with crumbled feta on top.
- Cooking the tomatoes in the oven deepens the flavour.
- This recipe was created by Kidspot Social mum RockNmumma and was tested by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more fast dinners recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and tomatoes
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- Penne with ricotta, spinach and cherry tomatoes