Shepherds pie recipe
- 350g minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp beef stock powder
- 2 tbsp gravy powder
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender.
In a frying pan, brown the mince and onion. Add the carrots, peas, corn, Worcestershire sauce and one cup of water. Put a lid on the pan and cook for 8 mins until the carrots are tender.
Stir the 2 tbsp of gravy powder into a cup of water and stir into the meat and vegetables. Cook until it thickens.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk.
Pour the meat and vegetable mix into a casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and using a fork, fluff up the surface of the pie until it's all rough looking.
Bake the "pie" in the oven for 25 mins.
- Everybody I know calls this a Shepherds pie but when I made this recipe I discovered that shepherd's pie is made with lamb mince and cottage pie is made with beef mince.
- You can omit the butter and milk and use chicken stock and a little low fat margarine if you like a low fat alternative.
- I like to give the potato top a quick spray with cooking oil to get the crispy top.
- You can also add a little cheese on top for the last ten minutes for something different.
Find related recipes for the man of the house.
- Homestyle chips
- Big breakfast
- Slow cooker corned beef
- Chicken schnitzel
- Banana bread pie
- Caramelised onions
This recipe was created by Kidspot Social mum DejandOdinsmummy09 and tested by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.