Healthy macaroni cheese recipe
- 400g pasta elbows
- 50g butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp chicken-flavoured stock powder
In a large pot, add the pasta to rapidly boiling water and cook for 11 minutes. Drain.
In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the flour stirring constantly. Cook the flour for a few minutes, being careful not to brown it.
Whisk in the milk a little at a time until all of it is incorporated and you have a smooth sauce.
Whisk in the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and stock powder.
When the cheese is all melted into the sauce, add the pasta and stir to coat all the pieces.
- You can make this with wholewheat pasta if you want to make it healthier.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.