- 3 standard bunches of basil, approx. 3 packed cups
- 100g pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Pull all leaves off bunches of basil, leaving the stems.
Place leaves in food processor and pulse a couple of times.
Add garlic, parmesan and pine nuts, pulse in processor until it looks a little on the saucy-side.
Put processor on medium speed, and slowly trickle in olive oil whilst processing - this will cause the mix to expand a little.
- I made this in literally 15 minutes. I made 2 batches, and had everything in the freezer and dishes washed in 40 minutes.
- You can freeze this recipe – it will easily defrost in about 1.5 hours or even heat frozen in a saucepan when you want pesto in a hurry.
- For a bit of a twist, try adding sundried tomatoes at cooking time if you wish!
- To freeze, place 1/4 cup measures of the pesto into zip lock bags and squeeze as much air out as possible - this will feed 5-6 people with 4 cups of uncooked pasta.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.