Salmon macaroni bake recipe
Try this easy bake recipe that can be on the table in 30 minutes. Perfect for a mid-week dinner when time is short and you’re lacking inspiration, this salmon bake is extremely flexible so you could substitute tuna for salmon.
- 3 cups cooked macaroni - you will need 1 ¼ cups uncooked macaroni
- 4 cups milk
- 50g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 x 400g can pink or red salmon
- 1 cup veggies of choice (optional)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Pepper to taste
Cook the pasta if necessary, drain and set aside in casserole dish. If you are using cooked pasta from the fridge, rinse with warm water to separate and drain and set aside in casserole dish.
Drain the salmon and mash with a fork then mix through the pasta.
Add the cheese and the chopped parsley and stir through.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
In a saucepan, melt butter, add flour and stir until combined with whisk.
Gradually add milk ½ cup at a time and stir until it thickens. Turn off heat when last ½ cup has been added. Stir in mustard and pepper, whisk through.
Add sauce to the salmon and stir through. Add vegies and stir through.
Top with breadcrumbs and heat in oven for 20 mins, or until breadcrumbs are golden.
- I love shortcut recipes. Don't get me wrong - I love pouring love into meals too but with three young children and a busy lifestyle not every night can be cordon bleu!
- This recipe can have many variations too – use any vegetables you have in the fridge, or you could swap the salmon for tinned tuna.
- This recipe is generous enough to feed the family and then have leftovers the next day.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.