Strawberry and cream cheese muffins recipe
- 1 tub Philadelphia light cream cheese
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 ½ cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 punnet strawberries
Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare a muffin tray with patty pans and set aside.
Cream the cream cheese, oil and sugar in a mixer.
Add eggs one by one, whilst mixing.
Add flour, and beat until there are no lumps, then add the buttermilk.
Remove from the mixer.
Dice the strawberries into small pieces, add to the batter and mix through with a spoon.
Fill the patty pans ¾ full with mixture.
Bake for 15-20 mins.
- If you don't have any buttermilk handy, you can make your own by combining 1 tbsp white vinegar in the bottom of 1 cup measure and then filling it to top with regular milk. Leave for 5 mins to sour and then use.
- Once these muffins are cooked and cooled, dust with icing sugar and/or cover cream cheese icing - personally I don't think it needs it, but it would be a yummy topping.
- They are light, fluffy and so yummy. They freeze really well, so this recipe will make 24 muffins. Feel free to divide my recipe if you need less. I freeze them in lots of 2 for hubby and 3 for the little girl in resealable bags. Take them out at breakfast time, they're defrosted by morning tea or even reheat in the microwave...mmmm.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.