Sausage pie recipe
- 600g sausages of your choice
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups skim or regular milk
- 2 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
Boil sausages until cooked. Let cool then peel the skins off and slice into 1cm slices.
Preheat oven to 160°C.
Cook in microwave for 2mins on high. This will cause the zucchini to sweat - drain, re-spray the tray and add the cheese, sausage slices and thyme.
Place the grated vegetables back into the dish.
In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, add salt and pepper and then pour into baking tray and combine ingredients.
Bake for 1 hour.
- This recipe is a great way to eat sausages in a low-fat way. The boiling of the sausages will remove a lot of the fat in the meat.
- You can use regular beef sausages but I like to use spicy sausage like Italian or spiced pork sausage - it's up to you!
- If you're time-pressed and not watching your fat intake you can use leftover fried or barbecued sausages.
- I love one-dish meals and this one is fantastic!
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand'sbest recipe finder.