Meat pies recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp beef stock powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp barbeque sauce
- 1 tsp Vegemite
- 2 sheets rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
In a frying pan add the vegetable oil and cook the onion until translucent. Add minced beef and brown, making sure that you break it up well.
Add cornflour to water and stir well. Add this to to the pan along with all the sauces, vegemite and stock powder.
Bring to the boil and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 4 pie pans ( base diameter 8cm) and place on a baking tray.
Cut out 4x15cm circles of shortcrust pastry and 4x15cm pieces of the puff pastry.
Line the bottom and sides of the pie dishes with the shortcrust pastry. Fill each one with mince filling and brush a little water around the edges.
Top with puff pastry circles and use a fork to seal the edges together.
Brush the top of each pie with the egg.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffy.
- Make sure you give these a little time to cool as the filling is very hot when they come out of the oven.
- You can add a few frozen vegies to the filling mixture if you are on a budget and trying to stretch this meal out.
- Making your own pies is a great way to have a pie and really know what is in it.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.