Healthy shepherds pie recipe
This healthy shepherd's pie recipe doesn't sacrifice taste for calories. It gives you a balance of carbs, lean meat and vegetables all in the one dish plus it's yummy to boot!
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg lean lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 tbsp low-fat margarine
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp seeded mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water and bring to the boil. Salt and cook until tender.
In a frying pan, cook the lamb for 5 minutes and then add the onion, carrots and garlic.
Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir the peas through and remove from heat and set aside.
In a separate frying pan, heat the low-fat margarine and when bubbling sprinkle in the flour and stir until it starts to brown.
Add the Worcestershire sauce and whisk in the chicken stock, cooking until thickened.
Add the seeded mustard and whisk in.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Pour the sauce into the lamb mix and spoon into a casserole dish.
Drain and mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir through the egg yolk and sour cream. Spoon mashed potato over the lamb and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for 20 minutes until the top is slightly golden.
- There are few steps for this recipe but the flavours are delicious.
- The seeded mustard really makes this recipe. It is the one ingredient that you must not miss.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand''s best recipe finder.