Low-fat chocolate cake recipe
- 60g low-fat margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups low fat Greek style yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 4 tbsp skim milk
Preheat the oven to 180° C. Grease and flour a cake pan and set aside.
In a bowl, cream the margarine, sugar and vanilla.
Add in eggs one at a time until combined.
Beat in yoghurt until just combined.
Combine in a separate bowl the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder.
Fold wet mixture into dry mixture gently.
Pour into cake pan and bake for 40-45 mins.
Leave to cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto cooling rack.
In a bowl, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.
Pour onto the top of the cake and smooth over with a palate knife.
- I had a few turns at making a low-fat chocolate cake until I found a recipe that I thought was acceptable. They all seemed to be too dry and the Greek yoghurt was the answer I had been looking for.
- I wanted to pile this high with berries and if you are serving it for a party that is the way to go.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.