Salmon cakes recipe
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tin (410g) pink salmon, drained, bones and skin removed and flaked
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and add salt. Simmer until tender and then drain water away.
Mash potatoes until smooth and stir through salmon and onion. Form into large patties.
Set up a crumbing station by setting the flour in a bowl, in a separate bowl mix the egg and milk, fill the third bowl with breadcrumbs.
Coat patties in flour, dip in eggwash and coat in crumbs.
In a frying pan, heat the oil and frying patties until golden on both sides.
- I usually make the potato mix ahead of time because it easier to form the patties with a cold mixture.
- If you need to feed a crowd, you can use up to 2kg of potatoes with the same amount of salmon.
- Putting the onion into the hot potato mash partially cooks it and takes away the strong onion flavour.
- If you want to hide some vegies in this dish just add some grated carrot or zucchini to the hot mash.
- You can also replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes in this recipe.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.