Slow cooker butter chicken recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1kg chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp tandoori paste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 15 green cardoman pods
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup natural yoghurt.
In a frying pan heat the oil and butter and bring to a medium heat. Cook the chicken thighs and onion until slightly coloured.
Add the curry powder, tandoori paste, tomato paste, garam masala and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk with the yoghurt and half a cup of water.
Pour the whole lot into the slow cooker and add the cardoman pods.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Remove cardoman pods before serving.
- Serve this with basmati rice, raita and pappadums.
- You can thread the cardoman pods onto a piece of cotton using a needle. This makes them easier to remove after cooking.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.