Slow cooker beef and barley soup recipe
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chuck steak, cubed
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 swede, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the chuck steak in small batches until browned. Place in the slow cooker.
Place the vegetables and paprika in the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Pour into the slow cooker.
Stir in the pearl barley and place on high until bubbling.
Skim the top of the soup, removing the grey matter and oil that is on the surface. Turn to low for 3-5 hours.
Season with salt and paper to taste.
- This one REALLY hearty soup that is perfect for a winters day.
- You can just grab one of those soup packs at the greengrocers and you will have all the vegetables you need for this recipe.
- Do not forget to season it at the end.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.