Sweet shortcrust pastry recipe
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 125g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp iced water
In a food processor, place the cold butter, sifted flour and icing sugar.
Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the water and process just until the dough comes together into a ball.
Shape into a disk and wrap in cling film. Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly oil a 24cm loose based flan tin.
Remove and place between two sheets of baking paper and roll to fit your flan tin.
Prick base all over with a fork and line the base with baking paper weighed down with some dried beans or pie weights. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and pie weights and cook a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- You can use this for so many sweet tart recipes.
- I use this mainly for caramel tarts. You can boil 2 tins of condensed milk (fully sealed in the tin) for 2 hours and then pour it into this pie base and top with cream.
- Try not to overwork this when it comes together in the food processor.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.