Mexican tortilla bake recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 kg lean mince
- 2 satchets taco mix
- 600g bottled salsa
- 1 pkt (6) burrito tortillas
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 450g chopped frozen spinach, thawed
In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion until translucent. Add the mince and brown.
Pour 3/4 of the sauce into the pan along with the taco mix.
Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and set aside a lasagne dish.
Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into the bottom of the dish and cut the tortillas to fit the dish making sure to align the straight sides with the straight sides of the dish.
Layer in mince, spinach and tortillas, ending with a layer of salsa. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is golden brown
Leave to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Some children may resist the spinach but you can barely taste it in this dish. I made one of my sons taste it with eyes closed.
- You can always replace the spinach with bechemel sauce for something different.
Find more dinners recipes:
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.