Slow cooker pumpkin soup recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2kg pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 litres boiling water
- 3 tsp chicken stock powder
- pepper to taste
In a frying pan, heat the butter and oil and fry the pumpkin, potato, carrot and onion until they begin to soften (about 5-7 minutes). Add to the slow cooker.
Add the stock powder and boiling water and stir.
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
Use a stick blender to liquify and season to taste.
- I like to serve this soup with a spoon of sour cream and some chives to garnish.
- Frying the vegetables for a few minutes increases the depth of flavour.
- Be careful to taste this soup before seasoning as the stock powder can be very salty.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.