Braised steak and onions recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg rump steak, sliced thinly
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tins tomatoes, diced or 6 fresh tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup gravy mix
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Heat the oil in a frying pan and sear the steak in small batches.Fry the onion until soft and add the garlic, cooking for a further 2 minutes.
Return beef to the pan and add the tomatoes.
Stir the gravy mix into the water and add to the pan and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir through parsley just before serving.
- You can use a cheaper cut of beef for this dish but you will need to adjust the simmer time to make the meat tender.
- This makes a great meal for toddlers. Just make sure you cut the beef pieces well before serving.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.