Lemon butter recipe
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 4 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 250g butter, chopped
Beat eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl.
Place over a pot of barely simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Whisk continually until the sugar has dissolved.
Add butter, lemon juice and rind. Whisk mixture for around 20 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.
- I serve this on hot buttery toast for breakfast.
- I was a bit lazy and got the handmixer out to make this recipe. It resulted in lemon butter that was like a fluffy mousse when it cooled and I was very happy with the result.
- This is perfect spooned into little cooked pastry cups for dessert.
- Make sure that you don't let the mixture boil or it may curdle or scramble.
Related chutney, sauce and preserve recipes:
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.