Macaroni with spicy mince recipe
- 350 g lean beef mince
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 800 g whole tomato canned in tomato juice, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200 g boiled macaroni pasta
- 400 g canned red kidney beans, rinsed, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Heat a large frying-pan over high heat. Add beef and onion and cook, stirring for 10 minutes or until meat is brown. Drain off excess fat. Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, 250 ml water, tomato puree, chilli powder and cumin. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add macaroni and kidney beans and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until macaroni is al dente. Add more liquid if necessary during the cooking process.
Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.
- You can make the mince up to 2 days ahead of time. Reheat the mince before adding the macaroni and kidney beans, and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Once cooked this dish will keep in the fridge stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days, and will freeze for 3 months.
- Leftovers are also great to reheat in the microwave.
- This recipe was created by Weight Watchers for Kidspot.