Easy Italian meatball soup recipe
- 325g pork and veal mince, raw
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped, plus 1/3 cup shredded for garnish
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 medium red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
- 100 g fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 110 g risoni pasta
- 2 x 3 second spray of oil spray
Combine the mince, egg, breadcrumbs, finely chopped basil and one-third of the onion in a medium bowl. Mix well.
Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls to make 16 meatballs.
Lightly spray a large non-stick saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 3–4 minutes or until browned all over. Remove from the pan.
Wipe pan clean with paper towel. Lightly spray the same pan with oil. Add the carrot and remaining onion and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until onion is softened.
Add the capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock and 375ml water and bring to the boil. Add the risoni.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and simmer, covered, for 5–7 minutes or until the risoni is tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
Serve sprinkled with the shredded basil.
- Pork and veal mince create a really soft meatball that doesn’t become bouncy with cooking.
- Risoni is a tiny rice-sized pasta – if it soaks up too much of the stock and water as it cooks, just add another ½ cup of both the stock and water.
- This recipe was created by Weight Watchers for Kidspot.